Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cupcakes Squared

A co-worker had suggested trying a cupcakery close to work, Cupcakes Squared. Jon and I have been meaning to go for a few months, but every time we think about going, it always falls on the one day they are closed: Monday. Yesterday happened to work out perfectly, so I took Jon as a surprise.

I went in excited... red velvet (not-so-red velvet, as they call it), SQUARE cupcakes and a place that also offered gluten free, sugar free AND vegan cupcakes! When we got there, the selection was pretty depleted. Their menu consists of 25+ cupcakes, yet they only had a handful to choose to from and no gluten free or vegan cupcakes. The prices were moderate: $2.75-$3.50 per regular and $1.50-$1.75 per mini.

Jon went with a regular almond cupcake and I got a mini (they were out of regular) not-so-red velvet, of course. Unfortunately I didn't like their take on red velvet, my cupcake tasted too bland. Jon, on the other hand, loved his almond cupcake! We were both disappointed that I didn't have a better experience altogether. Upon further investigation, I saw on their website that they have their six regular cupcakes and a couple different specialties daily. As for the gluten free and vegan cupcakes, they only offer these Thursday-Sunday. All of their cupcakes sound so lavish and ornate; I will have to go back on a Tuesday to try their Vanilla Chai and give it a second go!






photo via puertabella







Location: 3772 Voltaire Street San Diego, California 92107
Point Loma

1 comment: