Friday, July 8, 2011

Foodie Friday: Soda Cupcakes

A bit overdue, but for my birthday this year I wanted Funfetti cupcakes, and to be experimental, made with diet soda in place of eggs, oil and water. Not that I care, but it's like half the calories! Jon made the cupcakes (and took the pictures) and they actually turned out really good! I was going to have him write this entry, but after 2 months of waiting... I'm going to take you through it step by step myself.



What you will need:

Cupcake liners
Basic cake mix
1 can of diet soda
1 tub of frosting (or get fancy and make homemade frosting!)
Sprinkles of your choice

*Make sure to use clear sodas for white cakes and dark sodas for dark cakes. Also, only use diet soda! I was a little hesitant at this because I can't stand the taste of diet sodas, but regular soda has too much sugar (trust me, your cake mix has plenty!) and you actually can't tell once cooked!



Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.



2. Blend cake mix and diet soda in large bowl, you can use an electric mixer or whisk by hand.



3. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way with cake mix.





4. Bake for 18-22 minutes (make sure cupcakes are fully cooked by inserting toothpick, it should come out clean).



5. Frost and sprinkle these puppies.



8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of doing that before, but now I need to try it.

    I'm sorry about your car! Have you replaced your mirror yet? That's so sad... things like that make you feel so completely helpless against jerks out there. Last winter, THREE TIMES, all while I was sleeping, different drunk drivers crashed into my car. It is completely battered now and I haven't even bothered fixing anything, but I definitely know the feeling. I'm sorry that happened to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ainsley! Thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway. Good luck!

    As for those delicious looking cupcakes... you are more than welcome to bring some to Tennessee. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's awful... Three times?!?! Luckily we live in an apt with off street parking (still, it's just an alley). But yesterday Jon bought a car (after not having one for a year) and I'm afraid to start parking my baby back on the street for reasons like these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making cupcakes this way! You can also substitute applesauce for the oil which are really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan, when I used to only bake vegan I would always use apple sauce or banana as egg replacer. I also use vinegar + baking soda, but sometimes when baking cakes, it is a bit dense. As for bananas, you can taste them in everything (I might just be sensitive to the taste of bananas, but I swear they overpower everything, even if you use the little-ist bit!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of this before but haven't tried it yet. Yummy?

    Have you tried or heard of using the soda substitute when baking from scratch?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, they were delicious! And I have not heard of using diet soda when making cakes/cupcakes from scratch, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I usually bake from scratch anyway, but this particular time I was really craving funfetti :)

    ReplyDelete